Race Track Replaced by Gas TurbinesUp one level
In the early 1900s, sulky (harness) racing was done on Brunots Island in Ohio River adjacent to Pittsburgh, PA. Soon thereafter, auto racing was the choice of competitors on the dirt track of this 129 acre island. Today, GE gas turbines occupy the site. Thie only access is via a train bridge that connects the city with the opposite side and allows walker/workers to traverse along side the tracks. Twice a month on Tuesdays (and sometimes Thursdays during outage work), a ferry treks across and back during the day to take people, cars, trucks and supplies to the island.
- Race Track on Brunot's Island
- In the early 1900s, horse and car racing was popular on the island. Today, GE gas turbines (three MS5001N and three MS7001B units occupy the 129 acre lot in the middle of the Ohio River next to Pittsburgh, PA.
- Race Results from 1905
- Brunot's Island was one stop along the dirt race circuit in 1905.